Wednesday, April 1, 2009

I'd Rather Be Playing Scrabble

Now that WebGirl has found (her way back to) her Happily Ever After, it looks like it's up to me to post about dating and related matters, and how wonderful (insert eye roll) it all is. After all, what kind of blog would this be if we didn't have a generous amount of angst?

After two months back on the dating "market", I've gotten to the point where I'm tired. In the last two months, I've dated two girls (three dates each, concurrently)-- neither of whom I met on Frumster, or online at all, for that matter. One lived an hour and a half drive from me (she was fantastic-looking, which is why I even considered it). Obviously, neither one 'worked out'.

My two closest single friends are in relationships again. Tonight I have a date with a woman a friend of mine set me up with. She seems nice enough, and we spoke on the phone (and on FaceBook!). But I just can't seem to get excited about it. And lately I've had the recurring thought that not being in a relationship has a definite upside. After work, I can just come home, have dinner, put my feet up, watch TV, hang out with friends, not have to spend time on the phone, not have to go out; not have to 'deal' with another person. It's just me. And even though I'm curious about the person I will be going out with tonight, I just feel sort of blah about it. Go to a place, have drinks, sit across the table, and talk about the same stuff you talk about on dates. I'd rather be home in my sweats watching the Life On Mars finale. And it's a local date! How pitiful is that?

I just can't seem to get excited. I used to enjoy "The Hunt". But the online dating sites are dead-- there are maybe three girls I am half interested in contacting, and I'd have to fork up cash to do it, and I guess I'm not interested enough to do that now.

I remember WG feeling the same way, and I remember me exhorting her to buck up and keep going. I guess the shoe's on the other foot now, eh? Of course, she did go back to her ex. That's not really an option for me, though (wink).

Actually, there was one woman recently that I was excited about.

An attractive pharmaceutical rep named Jennifer* has been visiting a doctor in my office lately, and as soon as I met her, there was a definite chemistry... a tension. She has a dynamic and outgoing personality (as salespeople tend to have), and there was also witty banter and dare I say it, flirting. She is Jewish, but not religious or observant. At all. (In fact, she's rather anti-religion... see below, but that's a longer story). However, I could tell that she was definitely reflecting my attention; she'd linger on her way out, talking in the reception area with me for 30 minutes after she said she had to get going. It got to the point where other office staff would good-naturedly chide me about her. One day I walked her out of the office, and admired her car (a nice BMW) and half-jokingly said she'd have to take me for a ride one day. She offered to let me drive it.

I had decided that this was too interesting not to at least explore, so when she told me I could call her, I did- and we had a long and deep conversation. Unfortunately, it was theosophical, and she said she was religiously "on a completely different solar system" than I was. Lot's of "issues", with religion, and no doubt other things. I got the impression that 'deep' was an inadequate word to describe her- 'an abyss' would be more like it. Very much in her head...been there and done that. Unfortunately, I'm highly attracted to those types. After conversing for a while, it became clear that nothing was going to 'work', at least not as a long-term thing. So we left it with me coyly promising to keep flirting with her when I see her, and her being OK with that. But damn. Why can't I meet a reasonably orthodox girl like that?

In other news, I am completely stressed about my taxes, I could give a rat's behind about Pesach (haven't done a stitch of prep), and I think I'm getting a cold.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I used to lurk on your blog. Good to see you post here! From my (10+ years) experience, when you have to remind yourself why you should want to date, it's time to take a break from dating.