Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Cleaning up

I know you're going to think this is a religious or prudish thing, but really, it's not. It's about cursing.

I graduated from college when I was twenty years old, and in addition to my degree, I came home with a mouth like a truck driver. Or a sailor, take your pick. It was eff this and eff that and everything was effing whatever etc. You get the idea. I was twenty. I was an idiot. I never cursed in front of my parents, of course. It wasn't so much their disapproval that I feared; it was more that they are classy, religious people and I would be embarrassed to curse in front of them.

I was on the phone once with a girl who lived in my dorm and my Mom wasn't home, so I let it fly. Effing this, effing that, s-word, douchebag, etc. We spoke for about an hour. Well, um, my Mom was home. She was in the basement. But she heard. She came into the kitchen after I hung up and looked at me. Just a look. But that was enough.

So basically, I kicked the habit. Oh sure, if I dropped an anvil on my foot, believe me, I wouldn't say "goodness gracious." I do believe that swearing has its place, but only in extreme situations. Having it be a part of everyday speech is just coarse. Actually, if you never curse, when you do let one fly, it has even more of an impact.

I wonder if people who routinely swear realize how they sound to the rest of us. It downgrades the message behind the language. For example, I really like this blog, for the most part. She's a good writer and she's got something to say. But it would be a gazillion times better if she laid off all the foul language.

And now that I'm firmly on the other side of the big four-oh, I can say that it's also juvenile. Seriously. Grow up.

I remember when the Dennis Miller Show used to be on cable. I love Dennis Miller; he's witty and smart, but the show was just unwatchable after a while. Every third word was an f-bomb. I enjoy him so much more now that he's on the radio and needs to play it clean.

I have a friend who is an attorney who routinely posts in filthy language on Facebook all the time. I just don't get it.

I don't know, am I being a prude? I don't think so. I just find routine cursing detracting and sort of lame.

1 comment:

frum single female said...

i agree with you. ive seen sid caeser's your show of shows and its hysterically funny even now. they werent allowed to use any foul language. it was the 1950's.
old movies are excellent in that way as well. the dialogue is so sharp. they werent allowed to have foul language or explicit love scenes and if you ask me they were much more romantic.