Wednesday, January 28, 2009

High Fidelity

I have a lot of free time on my hands these days, being unemployed. So I called Verizon to see if they would lower our cable plan. I've done this a few times before, and every so often, I hit paydirt and they actually do lower it, for no apparent reason.

This time, they didn't lower it, but they did give me a free month of movies.

Free movies, unemployment. You do the math.

So last night, as I was clicking away, I found one of my all-time favorites, High Fidelity. Why do I love this movie so much?

First of all, I have a total movie star crush on John Cusack. I love tall, broad, skinny, awkward, funny-looking guys. I've had a thing for Cusack since Say Anything.

Second of all, I love the fact that his character is so obsessed with music and is able to make it a metaphor for life and love (see his rant about the science of the "the perfect mix tape"). I do that in my head all the time. And I love the two geeks who work in his music store, who have no lives, can barely tie their shoes but know everything about music. I am as geeky as they come when it comes to pop music. Ask me a David Bowie trivia question. Go ahead, ask me.

Third of all, he plays such a flawed character. I mean, he's a mess. He's complicated. He's painfully self-aware of what a mess he is and how he keeps blowing it. I can totally identify. And yet, as you watch the movie, you never stop rooting for him.

Fourth of all, the movie wraps up with one of the most beautiful love songs ever, Stevie Wonder's I Believe (When I Fall in Love It Will Be Forever). God-in-heaven, I do love that song. The chorus gives me chills. I mean, I really like most of the music on this movie soundtrack, but that song plays in the background of my head when I fantasize about the slo-mo kiss I will one day share with my ultimate Prince Charming. You know, that kiss. The one that will never happen.

If you've never seen High Fidelity, take it out from the library. It's a little dated, but it resonates. Of course, if they made it today, it would be called Ipod Love.

And here are the lyrics of that song, that sweet, beautiful, beautiful song, that no one will ever sing to me.

Shattered dreams, worthless years,
Here am I encased inside a hollow shell,
Life began, then was done,
Now I stare into a cold and empty well.

The many sounds that meet our ears, the sights our eyes behold,
Will open up our merging hearts,
And feed our empty souls.

I believe when I fall in love with you it will be forever,
I believe when I fall in love this time it will be forever.

Without despair we will share,
And the joys of caring will not be replaced,
What has been must never end
And with the strength we have wont be erased,
When the truths of love are planted firm,
They won't be hard to find,
And the words of love I speak to you will echo in your mind.

I believe when I fall in love with you it will be forever,
I believe when I fall in love this time it will be forever.

I believe when I fall in love with you it will be forever,
I believe when I fall in love with you it will be forever.

I'm so glad that I found someone to believe in again,
I'm so glad that I found someone to believe in again.

God surely answered my prayer,
God surely answered by prayer,
You know God surely answered my prayer,
You know God surely answered my prayer,
God always will answer your prayers,
Believe in One who will answer my prayer,
Thank you God.

Come on, let's fall in love,
You're the woman I've been waiting for,
Come on, let's fall in love,
You're the girl that I really adore,
Come on, let's fall in love...

No comments: