Monday, September 15, 2008

Efficient and Green

I've been a long-time advocate of doing EVERYTHING online, bill paying, charity giving, purchasing nearly everything, etc.

If only 20% of U.S. households switched to online bills, statements and payments, the impact every year would:*

  • Avoid using 102,945,600 gallons of gasoline.
  • Avoid 1,960,402 tons of greenhouse gas.
  • Save 150,939,615 pounds of paper.
  • Save 1,811,275 trees.

*Source: PayItGreen.org

For me, the advantage is the incredible convenience, saving postage, getting credit card points, cutting down on paper clutter, much easier record keeping, and making it easier to look up and document tax-deductible expenses in April. I write maybe a total of 25 checks a year.

Of course, you need to be somewhat organized to track this stuff, but if you keep it simple (just a few accounts), it can make your life a whole lot easier. And apparently greener.

4 comments:

Nice Jewish Guy said...

I pay most of my bills online, but not out of any green aspirations. I do it because I don't have to remember to do it when it's autopaid, and because I hate writing checks and seeing what I'm spending.

WebGirl said...

Oh, I'm not overly concerned about the green issue. But it's a perk. And greenness aside, it's good not to be wasteful. I hate paper.

Isophorone said...

The downside is that it forces a lot of people to use credit cards to operate this way. For a lot of people, when they do that, their spending goes out of control and they go into debt. So operating on cash may not be "green," but it keeps family expenses under control.

WebGirl said...

Point well-taken. I didn't consider this because I pay my cc's off every month. Of course, you can always use a debit card (they even have reward debit cards now) or online bill payment, which just pulls the money straight out of your account.