Tuesday, August 12, 2008

McCain is being a hypocrite

Yes, you read that right. McCain is being a hypocrite. You know I'm voting for him and you know I think that Obama is basically an empty suit, but I gotta call it as I see it.

Remember back in April, McCain blasted his own party for running an ad that he deemed too extreme? Let me refresh your memory.

I don’t know why they do it, and obviously I don’t control them. But I’m making it very clear, as I have a couple of times in the past, that there’s no place for that kind of campaigning – and the American people don’t want it, period,” McCain said.

McCain said he had not seen the North Carolina ad, which states that Obama is too extreme and shows footage of the Illinois senator’s former pastor, the Rev. Jeremiah A. Wright Jr., shouting: “Not God bless America, God damn America.” In a March speech on race, Obama condemned Wright’s controversial remarks, but said the pastor was part of his life and he could not disown him.

I hope that I don’t see [it],” McCain said of the ad. “I had enough of a description of it to know that that’s the kind of campaigning that I have told the American people we’re not going to do.”

The reaction in the Republican camp to McCain's criticism was mostly "huh?" The ad was true and relatively mild. Here's the WSJ article that shows the actual ad. It basically links Obama and Reverend Wright, which is fair. Most Republican commentators came down on McCain for being overly critical of his own party and for knocking down those who were trying to help him. Some (including me) wondered if McCain had the guts to win a Presidential campaign if he was going to be that much of a wimp.

Now this. And this. Frankly, I really enjoyed these commercials and was a little relieved that the McCain campaign finally got a little testosterone going and decided to sharpen their knives and go after Obama in a clever, sharp, and perfectly valid way. But you know what? These commercials are mean as hell. They are not dirty, but they sure are a well-placed kick in the stomach (not groin). And if McCain saw fit to publicly dig at his own party for running an ad that he claimed was beneath him four months ago, he is certainly setting aside his judgmentalism for his own campaign. Truth is, McCain owes North Carolina Republicans an apology. And maybe next time he should be so quick to snap out those who know how to do political marketing a little better than he does.

1 comment:

Isophorone said...

I guess McCain found out that the Mr. Nice Guy act wasn't a winning strategy.

By the way, I found this button:

http://ronwade.freeservers.com/McCainHebrew.jpg