Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Flying

JetBlue is now nickel-and-diming their passengers. Sigh. Yet another reason why air travel sucks more and more each day.

I fly a lot. Less than I used to when I lived Out-of-Town, but still about six times a year or so. Before 9/11, air travel was actually somewhat pleasant. Now, let's see what I have to look forward to:

  • Having to remove my shoes, belt and blazer or jacket at security. This means I'm thinking about catching some disgusting foot fungus from the 85,312 previous feet that tread on the same cold tiles before me that day. This also means that if I am traveling for business and wearing a suit, I can't wear a sleeveless shell under the blazer. When I was married and traveled, it meant I couldn't wear a hat to the airport. They never made me remove my sheitel. However, flying with a wig on is no joy.
  • I can't take shampoo or any other normal-sized liquid toiletries with me on the plane. I can't take fingernail scissors or a sharp nail file. I can't take a bottle of water or soda (but I can spend 4 times the normal price purchasing one in the terminal) with me, and I can't take any giftwrapped hostess presents on the plane.
  • On most major airlines, I can't take more than one suitcase, unless I want to pay more. A few years ago, JetBlue allowed three suitcases and a carry-on.
  • Flight attendants have become quasi-fascists about the rules. I can't keep a pocketbook in my lap during takeoff, even th0ugh it contains about a thousand dollars worth of jewelry in it. My $3,000 laptop rides in the compartment over my head, available to whoever really wishes to steal it. Actually, if I were an amoral laptop thief, I would steal one from an airplane. It's the easiest thing to do.
  • Thanks to Nancy Pelosi and other idiotic politicians, air travel is now exorbitantly expensive. What used to be a $300 ticket is now $450. And once Israel bombs the living crap out of Iraq (stay tuned, it's coming), oil will go through the roof, and air travel costs will soar.
Flying. Used to like it. Now, like everything else, it's the destination, not the journey.

2 comments:

Shmilda said...

>And once Israel bombs the living crap out of Iraq

Reminds me of these lyrics:
I'm just a singer of simple songs
I'm not a real political man
I watch CNN but I'm not sure I can tell you
The difference in Iraq and Iran

WebGirl said...

Here's a few:

1. a Q and an N

2. Arab culture/Persian culture

3. Arabic/Farsi

4. We took out their insane, murdering, meglomaniac leader (Saddam Hussein) /we need to take out their insane, murdering, meglomaniac leader (Achmadina-wack-job).

5. They funded and supported terrorism/they fund and support terrorism.

For starters. Bye bye Iran. Ta.