Tuesday, June 17, 2008

Going over to The Dark Side

I changed my party affiliation. I am now a registered Republican in the state of New York. Deep breath.

I guess the time had come for me to publicly acknowledge that I had changed. Or maybe the Democratic Party has changed. Or maybe we both have changed. I have absolutely nothing in common with the Democratic Party anymore. We don't share values, positions or ideals.

I came to realize that the reason I resisted changing my party in the past was 1) I just couldn't imagine, in my wildest dreams, being a Republican. It just wasn't part of who I was, at least the way I saw myself. I voted for Bill Clinton! Twice! and 2) The Ex is a staunch, dyed-in-the-wool Conservative Republican. I guess I didn't want to get absorbed into his political identity. I wanted to be my own person. Thing is, we agreed on just about everything political. And now, post-divorce, my niggling little identity twitches aren't really an issue. I'm very much my own person, in every conceivable way.

So here I am, Webgirl, Republican extraordinaire. Yup, it feels true.

and God bless America.

3 comments:

abandoning eden said...

well, I can't say I'm surprised, based on your past posts. And also wider trends in the jewish community. But we'll miss you here on this side!

Lubab No More said...

I am a Dem but I applaud your switch. More people should be honest about where they stand.

If you're ever feeling "Blue" again you know where to find us. ;)

Isophorone said...

Welcome to the dark side!

I am the first in my family to register Republican (1979), back when you could just about fit Jewish Republicans in a phone booth. There may be enough critical mass of us now that we don't get called "fascist" as much as we used to.

Abandoning Eden is right about trends in the Jewish community. Gore gor about 88% of the Jewish vote in 2000. Kerry got about 75%. Obama is polling at 61%. The increase number of Orthodox Jews as a percentage of the Jewish population is also a contributing factor, since the Orthodox are more socially conservative.

The good news is that there are far more Republican Jewish men than women, if you get my drift. ;)