Monday, May 5, 2008

Weight

I am trying for the 3,413rd time to get my weight under control. So under the advice of a friend who just took off 80 lbs., (EIGHTY!!!) I started writing down everything I eat. It's been a fascinating experience and I can see why it is helpful. Geez, I eat a lot. I have already cut down my consumption just based on a new awareness and a real assessment of how much food I have been taking in. I've been doing this for about a week and a half now.

It's also made me aware of how much coffee I've been drinking. Holy crap! I was deluding myself into thinking that I drank about three cups a day. I'm embarrassed to admit, even anonymously, how much I've actually been consuming. I've definitely cut down my coffee intake these last few days.

In the back of the same notebook that I've been recording my food intake, I've been recording how often I've been exercising. I was under the delusion that I've been working out 4-5 times a week. It's actually more like 3 times a week. I am amazed at my capacity to fool myself. I haven't upped the number of times I'm working out, but I have added ten minutes to each workout, so that now I do 3 times at 40 minutes instead of 4 times at 30 minutes.

A few months ago, Nice Jewish Guy gave me some pointers on running that have been helpful. I can't really keep up a sustained run for long periods of time, but I've been trying to do interval running....walking hard for an interval and then running for an interval, etc. It makes the time on the treadmill pass more quickly and it's less exhausting than just pushing myself to run. It gives me more of sweat than just walking and it definitely gets my heart rate up quickly.

We'll see how this goes.

2 comments:

abandoning eden said...

I write down everything I eat too...on www.thedailyplate.com a website that tracks your food and exercise, and tells you how many calories you have left, how much of each thing you've eaten (so for instance I've been working on eating more dietary fiber and less sodium). Anyways, I've been doing that since new years, and have lost about 20 pounds so far. I probably would have lost a lot more if I actually kept to the calories they say I should eat each day, but I've been working a lot, and stress-eating like crazy. But despite that I still lost 20 pounds! I just bought a pair of pants that are a size smaller than I was before, and they are loose, whereas before that bigger size was uncomfortably tight to the point where I would probably have had to go up a size if I had continued eating the way I was.

Anyways, point is, www.thedailyplate.com is awesome, they also have a great message board there, and if you sign up let me know and I'll add you as a friend :)

Nice Jewish Guy said...

Thanks for the nod... keep on that treadmill! You WILL lose weight if you do it religiously and push yourself, and modify your diet. It's a sure-fire combo.