Monday, May 5, 2008

Gas

It now costs me around $60 to fill up my little sedan. I find this almost offensive. I am trying to use my car as little as possible, walking to places within a mile of my house if I can, both for the exercise and because I am trying to be frugal. Either that or I will have to get a second job.

Shell is offering a $25 gift card when you apply for a Shell credit card and purchase 100 gallons of Shell gas within 90 days of opening the account. It sounds like a lot of gas, but it isn't too bad. Say you put 15 gallons in each time you fill up. That means you would have to fill up about 7 times over the course of 3 months to get the gift card...about every two weeks. If you make the first purchase within the first 60 days, you get a $10 bonus rebate credit. There is no annual fee for this card.

The only way to apply for this card is to call 1-800-278-0513. The verbal signup was rather tedious as compared to signing up on the Internet.

I'm not enamored with Shell, so I will probably use this card for three months, get the gift card, use that and then cancel the card.

I've been using Gas Buddy to try to find the lowest priced gas in my area. It's a good site. The problem is that, where I live, even the cheapest gas costs a small fortune.

If you are planning to do any vacationing soon, click here to read about which hotels offer gas rebates back to visitors this summer.

No comments: