Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Too Darn Frum fo' Me

Hat tip to Frum Satire for pointing out the Wacky Frum Thing of the Month. Ok, it was last month...I'm behind on my blogs.

You have got to be kidding me. Ooo baby. So a prominent Rosh Yeshiva in Brooklyn is calling for a boycott on a local sheitl store because:

"In the front window of the store, there are four, large, inappropriate, photos of women - with the point being that it should attract a persons attention and look."

These photos were deemed "pritsusdik," at least in the synopsis of the Rosh Yeshiva's letter (I couldn't make out the actual letter...too fuzzy). People actually complained about these photos. These pictures were so awful (see below and judge for yourself), the Rosh Yeshiva decided to deny the store owner of his parnassah until they were removed.

Ok, I really really really don't want to be disrespectful to the Rosh Yeshiva, but last time I checked, women wore sheitls as an act of tznius. So having headshots of women in attractive sheitls in the window of a sheitl store (which presumably, sells sheitls) is un-tznius---why?

A prime example of how religion is a fabulous place to hide your neuroses and call them (ready?):

FRUMKEIT.

I'm sorry, but this one REALLY shoved me over the edge. Hyper-tznius is not Judaism. No sirree Bob. No. Uh uh. This ain't serving Hashem, no way, no how.

I'm not married anymore, and my Rav gave me a heter to stop covering my hair. But I am seriously thinking of going into that store and buying me a new rug.


No comments: