Sunday, January 13, 2008

Life, what is it but a dream?

A boat, beneath a sunny sky,
Lingering onward dreamily
In an evening of July-

Children three that nestle near,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Pleased a simple tale to hear-

Long has paled that sunny sky;
Echoes fade and memories die;
Autumn frosts have slain July,

Still she haunts me phantomwise,
Alice moving under skies
Never seen by waking eyes.

Children yet, the tale to hear,
Eager eye and willing ear,
Lovingly shall nestle near.

In a Wonderland they lie,
Dreaming as the days go by,
Dreaming as the summers die;

Ever drifting down the stream-
Lingering in the golden gleam-
Life, what is it but a dream?

-Lewis Carroll
This poem was one of my all-time favorites in college. It's clever--it scans and rhymes beautifully, perfectly--and is an acrostic of "Alice Pleasance Liddel," the real-life girl to whom Lewis Carroll dedicated Through the Looking Glass and Alice in Wonderland. It is also creepy and surrealistic, conjuring up images of ghostlike children who never grow up. Well, it can be creepy and surrealistic if you choose to read it that way (I do). It can also just be a beautiful dream of a lazy summer afternoon, and three innocent children listening to a pretty story. Or it can be a metaphor for childhood and innocence, always alive in some form, in some child, or, more likely, in memory.

I was sifting through some boxes in my basement when I found this old poem that I typed up (yes, typed) and pasted to my college dorm wall. College seems like such a short time ago, yet in truth, it was years ago, a lifetime ago. Time is definitely getting away from me in leaps and bounds. Sometimes I look in the mirror and wonder if I look very old and I'm just not capable of realizing it anymore. Sometimes I just wish time would go even faster, so I can get through this phase of my life and get on to where I want to be, as if that will happen, if only I wait long enough.

4 comments:

YM said...

Did you ever see the movie "click" with Adam Sandler? Very powerful and moving movie about wishing that the hard parts of life would pass more quickly.

WebGirl said...

Hard to believe Adam Sandler could be in a "powerful and moving" movie, but I'll take your word for it. :) I'll rent it as soon as I get around to opening a Blockbuster account here.

YM said...

A netgirl like you should have netflix.

WebGirl said...

I hate watching videos or dvds. I like to go out to the movies.