Wednesday, December 19, 2007

Joe



God, I love coffee.

Today was a fast day, 10th of Tevet. This is one of the only minor Jewish fast days that you have to remember on its own. Fast of Esther...day before Purim. Tzom Gedaliah, day after Rosh Hashana. 17th of Tammuz and 9th of Av....bookends on the Three Weeks.

But 10th of Tevet is sort of on its own. And I blew it. I completely forgot about it. This is not the first time that this has happened, so I already knew what the halachic remedy was. I fasted from the moment I remembered and I also need to "make up the fast" on some other day during the year.

But since my fast started at about 9:00am, after one cup of coffee and some yogurt, I thought it would be easy.

It wasn't.

I dreamt of coffee all day. Fantasized about coffee. Thought about coffee. Ghost-smelled coffee. I was hyper and crazy all day long. Jumping out of my skin. So this is what it's like to be an addict.

I broke my fast at 5:17. I'm on my 3rd cup now. It's 5:22.

God, I do love coffee. I feel so Zen right now. I just want to climb right into the cup.

No comments: