Sunday, November 18, 2007

Sex

B: On a hot summer night, would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?
G: Will he offer me his mouth?
B: Yes.
G: Will he offer me his teeth?
B: Yes.
G: Will he offer me his jaws?
B: Yes.
G: Will he offer me his hunger?
B: Yes.

G: Again, will he offer me his hunger?

B: Yes.

G: And will he starve without me?
B: Yes.

G: And does he love me?
B: Yes.
G: Yes.

B: On a hot summer night would you offer your throat to the wolf with the red roses?

G: Yes.
B: I bet you say that to all the boys.


Meatloaf "You Took the Words Right Out of My Mouth"


The paragraph above is the little introduction that is spoken before Meatloaf cranks out his 1977 hit ballad. It has always been interesting to me that this hot little slice of dialogue is spoken rather than incorporated into the song, which is one of his greats.

This little interchange is sex. It's raw and dark, it's about passion and intense wanting, it's got pleading and romance and sweetness and love and teasing and surrender. It even a little funny at the end, and the best kind of sex (and there are oh so many kinds) always has you smiling and laughing together after it's over.

I've got 600 songs on my Ipod and it takes me days to go through the whole playlist. But when this song comes on, well....

Yes.

2 comments:

Nice Jewish Guy said...

Now that you've got our attention....

Jay said...

The male voice is that of Jim Steinman ( a yid), the writer of the song and the female voice belongs to Ellen Shipley...she must be almost 60 by now!