Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Stupid and Groggy

"The kingdom of music is not the kingdom of this world; it will accept those whom breeding and intellect and culture have alike rejected. The commonplace person begins to play, and shoots into the empyrean without effort, whilst we look up, marvelling how he has escaped us, and thinking how we could worship him and love him, would he but translate his visions into human words, and his experiences into human actions."
-E.M. Forster, from Room With A View
Why are musicians such hot tamales? I'm a pretty smart girl, but I get all stupid when I see or hear a guy playing or singing well.

About a month or two after my divorce, I hooked up with someone from Frumster who was very, very wrong for me. Mr. Wrong was a liar and very bad news. Of course, who knew this when I was dating Mr. Wrong? Not me. Mr. Wrong wasn't exactly handsome or super-smart. But Mr. Wrong played the guitar. And sang like Paul McCartney. When he whipped out that guitar, I turned to mush. And yeah, he worked that.

Very recently, I became friendly with a Safe Guy. He's got a girlfriend and is also going through some stuff that makes it clear he is not settling down too soon. He's one of those smart people that has made himself so chronically self-aware, he has missed the basics. I had no problem thinking about him plutonically. Until.

Until I saw him playing the piano. Then, OMG, I got a little hot under the collar. He was so intense, so focused and so (don't laugh) rhythmic. I watched his arms and hands moving around those keys and boy, he got me bothered. Damn.

What is it about a musician that turns me around and makes me all stupid and groggy? Hell, what is it about certain music that makes me all stupid and groggy? And why do I like being stupid and groggy so much?

No comments: