Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Safe Men

These last few weeks, I have been forming new relationships with "safe" guys: guys much younger, guys with serious girlfriends, guys much less religious, guys much more religious, etc. I have been really enjoying myself with them, opening up and being all chatty and flirty and happygirl. I have gotten together with a few and had a grand time, doing fun "regular" things like movies or sushi or biking. A couple I've just gotten to know over the phone or online and I'm able to talk to them in such frank, honest, direct ways. It feels great. These guys all have a few things in common: they are very smart, they are funny, they are warm and they are absolutely unattainable and uninterested in me romantically, and I don't give a damn.

And then...

And then I go on a shidduch date. A Frumster thing or (God help me) a Saw You at Sinai setup. And suddenly, the other WebGirl comes out, the closed, guarded, anxious, beaten down WebGirl that graduated from the University of Deadness that was my marriage. Uch. That WebGirl is snotty, full of herself, and depressing. And ugly. Inside and out. And you know what's weird? The guys always seem to want to go out again, which says a lot about the state of frum dating today.

You don't need to be a shrink to figure this one out, huh.

No comments: