Wednesday, August 15, 2007

Jewcy Chinuch? Oy.

I'm not sure how I feel about this article. I think I like it. It took me 5 years of living in a community outside of New York to learn just how Jewishly uneducated the secular Jewish world really is. And yet, here in NY, we continue to argue about whether or not the Internet is kosher, about bugs in the water, about nonsense, and the Jewish world at large is drowning in a quagmire of ignorance and assimilation. Yes, I know God is in the details, I know, I really do, and I still check my lettuce and worry over all sorts of halachic minutiae. But we've lost our focus. How can we be a light onto the nations when we don't give a damn about ourselves? We New Yorker frummies don't seem to understand that most Jews don't know squat about Judaism, or at least, we don't seem to find this alarming. We are a sinking ship, my brothers and sisters.

No comments: